The regional program ICT-Asia is a French initiative directed at Asia in order to strengthen, on the basis of mutual benefits, high-level scientific cooperation with and among emerging and developed Asian countries in the field of information and communication technology (ICT). It aims to contribute to regional integration by driving a search for excellence and support for scientific communities in Asia, with a strong focus on ASEAN.
ICT-Asia contributes, through an annual call for proposals, to the funding of research projects involving France and at least two partner countries in Asia, of which at least one is an ASEAN member state. The overall purpose is to foster the building of multilateral research teams for future participation in other regional and multilateral programs.
ICT-Asia regional workshop is held every year for attendance by researchers who have participated in or intend to participate in the program together with the representatives of French and Asian partner organizations. It offers a venue for dialogue between French and Asian scientists, with the objective of facilitating further scientific cooperation (building of research teams for application to ICT-Asia Call for Proposal, integration of participants to existing cooperation networks, dialogue between potential partners).
ICT–ASIA 2015 will be held in Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines in partnership with the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA).
- Strengthen the network of scientists in ICT research fields for further cooperation, eventually leading to the constitution of trilateral (or more) research teams;
- Offer a venue for peer discussion on ICT programme and Call for Proposals;
- Promote research, projects, and cooperation opportunities offered by the partners in the Philippines with regard to trilateral/multilateral research in the relevant fields.
- Offer a venue for the promotion of trilateral/multilateral cooperation opportunities in partner research centers.
ICT-Asia 2015 Regional Workshop will focus on
- Climate Change Modeling and Monitoring,
- Disaster Risk Reduction,
- ICT Applications to Food Security, and
- Urban and Rural Informatics.
Scientific presentations with a cross-cutting approach to Climate Change will be privileged.
Scientists from France, ASEAN member countries, Timor Leste , China – Taiwan-Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Bhutan in the field of ICT.
- French and Asian public and private bodies supporting R&D, regional cooperation and networking in ICT fields (priority targets as sponsors and promoters of the programme).
- Offices in Ministries in charge of R&D and regional cooperation, ASEAN Sectorial bodies and centers in relevant fields (STI Division, AHA Center; etc.)
- Research and Scientific Cooperation Sections of French Embassies in the relevant countries.
- Strengthening of a Franco-regional network in the ICT field
- Increased participation of Philippine scientists in the ICT programme
- Scientists to team up to present projects to 2015 ICT-Asia Call for Proposals, eventually leading to long-lasting trilateral cooperation / international research teams with a capacity to apply to international call for proposals.